We have all heard about how Mark Zuckerberg modified key Snapchat features and embedded them in Instagram to create Instagram Stories. Mark is not done yet. A similar feature will be included on WhatsApp. Current some device now has access to the feature. It is not called story/stories. It is called Status. I have no idea why the company will be calling it that. One thing I know is that they are trying hard to change the definition of the word ‘status’ in the (online) world. If you are a tech geek like me, you should be itching to have a feel of the new features. Not to worry the feature will just appear on your UI. You will know when you have access to this feature when your contact tab gets replaced with a camera icon.
So What is WhatsApp Status all about? It uses photos, text, emoji’s and sketches to show what you’re doing. It will be protected by end-to-end encryption. It also comes with Status Privacy. Meaning you can determine who sees your wonderful face or short video.
The Privacy features is similar to what you have on Facebook. This should come as no surprise because they are both from the same parents.
These are the three privacy options you will be given:
- My Contacts: All of your WhatsApp contacts can view your Status.
- My Contacts Except…: Select the people you don’t want to show your Status to. This still shares your Status with the rest of your Contact list.
- Only Share With…: Select only with the contacts you want to show your Status to.
It will be a lot easier for those who use Instagram stories or Snapchat Stories to access their friends Status updates on WhatsApp.
Just follow these steps:
- To view a Status uploaded by your friend, open the Status tab. A list of friends who’ve shared a Status will fill in.
- Touch the screen to pause a Status, giving you more time to view it, tap to skip through a Status, or swipe left to go to the next person.
- Swipe up on a status to reply to the Status you are currently viewing.
If you have not use WhatsApp for a long time probably you were among the few people that was affected by the Blackberry banned, then you might find it difficult updating your status. Here is the basic guide:
- To add a photo or video to your WhatsApp Status, open the app and tap the camera icon. Take a photo or video, or pick one from your camera roll.
- You can draw, write and place emoji’s on the photo. There’s also an option to add a caption that will be shown on the bottom of the photo or video as your contacts watch it.
- Finally, tap the paper airplane icon. You can either send your Status directly to a friend, as a photo or video within a conversation thread, or you can tap My Status at the top of the list to update your Status.
Video status update is longer than that of Snapchat. You can make about 45 seconds video update.
You can also find out who is viewing or have viewed your Status. Neat feature right?
Let me know what you think about the new feature and if you are now privilege to have these features on your device.